Stage Name: SooYoung (수영)
Birth Name: Choi Soo Young (최수영)
English Name: 썸머 Summer
Group Position : Supporting Vocalist
Nickname : ShikShin (Food God), NaSoo (Interrupter)
Languages : Korean (Fluent) , English, Chinese (Basic) , Japanese (Fluent)
DOB: February 10, 1990
Blood Type: O
School: Jungshin All-Girls High School
Casted: 2000 SM Open Audition
2002 Korea-Japan Ultra Idol Duo Audition
Training Duration: 6 Years 3 Months
School: ChungAng University (중앙대학교) Department of Theater | graduated from Jeongshin Girl’s High school
- - 2002 Japanese duo ‘Route φ‘ (with Marina Takahashi)
- 2003 CF Samsung Anycall Battle of Music (with Jewerly Park Jung-ah)
- 2004 School uniforms ‘Rocks’ model
- 2005 VJ for M.Net ‘Hello Chat’
- 2005 OST for Inuyasha ‘I Am‘ (Korean ver.)
- 2007 DJ for Melon ‘ChunJi Radio: Sungmin & Sooyoung’ (with Super Junior Sungmin)
- 2007 Sitcom KBS ‘Unstoppable Marriage‘ (as Choi Soo-young)
- 2008 OST for SBS drama Working Mom ‘Ggok‘ (with Yuri)
- 2008 Movie ‘Hello Schoolgirl! / 순정만화‘ (as Jung Da-jung)
- 2009 CF ‘Post Cereal‘ (with Sunny & Seohyun)
- 2009 Featured with The Blue ‘Feeling Only You‘ (with Tiffany)
- 2009 MC for MBC ‘Fantastic Duo’ (with Kim Jae-dong)
- 2009 CF ‘Post Cereal‘ (with Taeyeon & Tiffany)
- 2010 CF ‘Biotherm’ (with Tiffany & Yuri)
- The tallest member of SNSD.
- Prior to SNSD, Sooyoung was a part of J-pop duo ‘Route φ’ along with Marina Takahashi. The duo released three singles.
- Sooyoung is fluent in Japanese.
- She’s the third youngest of SNSD. However, despite being a ’90ers along with Yoona, Sooyoung is considered as a part of the 89 line because she was in the same grade with the six ’89ers.
- The biggest eater of SNSD, hence the nickname “Shikshin” (God of Food).
- “Sooyoung” literally means “swimming” in Korean.
- Her English name, Summer, was given by fellow member Jessica.
- Sooyoung has a great interest in fashion. She’s also considered as the most fashionable SNSD member.
- Her older sister, Choi Soojin, is a musical actress.
- Despite her tough image, Sooyoung is said to be the one who cries most easily.
- The meaning of the name Choi SooYoung is Luxurious Flower Petal
- Soo is the third youngest member but she is the tallest of them all (170 cm AND GROWING).
- She doesn’t call her unnis “unni”.
- Jessica gave her the English name “Summer”.
- She eats an average of 6-7 times in a one day.
- Soo never had a boyfriend.
- Taeyeon busted out one of her sleeping habits: SLEEP TALKING.
- Aside from Sunny, Soo is also one certified gamer in SNSD.
- She can eat 3 scoops of ice cream in 5 minutes.
- One of her pastimes include discovering new facial exp ressions when she faces the mirror without any make-up.
- Sooyoung’s bestfriend is her sister, Soojin.
- She won the Most Comic Talent award during the 2009 Girl’s Award.
- She has a huge crush on Jo Insung and Lee Sueng Gi
- She likes TALL men with broad shoulders, good backsides, and V-shaped back.
- Comic-writer Kangfull made a comic for Sooyoung. Apparently, SooYoung sent him a fan e-mail before. Kangfull was so impressed with the way SooYoung talks (very mature for her age) that he replied to her fanmail. Years later, they finally meet when SooYoung starred on the movie adaptation of Kangfull’s Manhwa.
- Nicknamed Cheerful Princess because of her charming personality. She is considered one the friendliest members in the group.
- She can spot fancams easily and she acknowledges them by smiling/waving/sending winks.
- Soo has a penchant on keeping things even though they’re worn out when she really likes it. An example of this would be how she still uses the Harry Potter blanket and the passport holder SSF gave her from years back.
- A TRAX member taught her how to play the drums while Sungmin taught her how to play the guitar.
- She can play the piano as seen on her performance during the Chunji Concert.
- She was part of the Jeong Shin Female High School choir back in her high school days
- Called the Home Shopping Queen because she can perfectly imitate the hosts of Home Shopping Channels
- She feels that she is not beautiful and that only ahjussi-fans like her.
- Nicknamed ShikShin by the other SNSD girls because of her big appetite. ShikShin literally means FOOD GODDESS.
- She can speak Korean, Japanese, and some English
- Her favorite place to visit is USA.
- SNSD is her first debut as an artist in Korea but it is also her second debut as an artist (as a whole). Her first debut was in Japan as a member of the duo Route 0.
- She lives with her Mom, Dad, older sister, and a little dog
- Her blood type is 0.
- The other members refer to her as the girl who “tries hard to be funny”.
- While in Japan, she became close friends with BoA and Sunday from The Grace as they too were working in Japan as singers at the time.
- Soo is currently the youngest member to win in the game show Star Golden Bell.
- She likes spicy cabbages.
- Her favorite season is Winter. (to think that her English name is Summer.)
- Soo rates herself a score of 70.
- The name she would want to give her future kids would be either Hid or Cinderella.
- “Let’s not procrastinate” is her motto.
- Her favorite song from Girl’s Generation is “Complete”.